Tradebox Finance Manager imports Amazon sales that are contained within the Amazon Order Report. This needs to be downloaded into a local folder on the user's PC or network prior to importing the sales into Tradebox. Tradebox can request and download a report automatically on your behalf using Amazon Marketplace Web Services (MWS) credentials; this automatic report request always contains the last 7 days worth of sales information. Our guide to setting up and using MWS is available here.
If you need Amazon sales information from further back, you may be able to manually request reports covering up to the last 60 days' worth of orders.
Known Issue March 2018
Historically, the format of the two report types (automatic via MWS and manual via a user logging in to Amazon Seller Central) have followed the same format. On 27/03/2018 users started reporting a change in the format of reports they had requested manually, and new options on Amazon to customise these reports.
After comparing information from several users and testing both manual and automatic requests using their credentials we observed that:
- Manual report requests may or may not give the user the option to include the sales channel column, this varies from user to user.
- Where this option is present and chosen for inclusion, the column may be populated or the report may generate with that column blank, this varies from user to user.
- Manual report requests have new options to customise reports under the new add or remove order report columns option, including a column called order channel. This column seems to always be blank when it's included.
To our best knowledge:
- Automatic report requests via MWS are unaffected and always include the column correctly populated.
- Amazon FBA order reports are unaffacted.
Tradebox Finance Manager relies on the report including a column indicating which Amazon marketplace an order was placed through. This is the sales channel column referred to above. Without this column being present and populated, there is a risk of Tradebox duplicating orders or reading an order as being placed through an incorrect marketplace (e.g. reading an Amazon FR order as being through Amazon UK) and so assuming the wrong currency of an order.
With default settings Tradebox will reject any Amazon order report that where this column is present but unpopulated, with the error:
Order [Amazon Order number] item  was not imported as the Sales Channel Name in the file is blank.
Tradebox will read any Amazon order report where this column is not present; this is to accommodate single-marketplace Amazon sellers who have never had the option to include the column. If you have multiple Amazon sales channels, the first channel presented with the report will read the orders and assume the orders to have come through that Amazon marketplace and therefore be in the currency of that marketplace.
Our support team raised a case with Amazon's Seller Central support team as this change was undocumented and requested clarification. Their response took 4 weeks and is as follows:
Our technical team have advised that the sales channel attribute is currently not available for order reports.
As a result the same is true when using MWS.
I reported that you had a client with the option and our technical has stated that the feature is currently not available.
This does not tie in with our own observations and we have fed this back to Amazon.
How to tell if you're affected
If you only sell on a single Amazon regional marketplace (e.g. Amazon.co.uk; this still counts as a single marketplace if you process a mix of self-fulfilled and FBA orders through that region) then you are unaffected. If you only process through a single marketplace and you do need to request a manual report, leave the tickbox on Amazon to include a sales channel column unticked.
If you only ever have Tradebox automatically request your order reports via MWS and run your Tradebox download at least once every 7 days, you are unaffected. This describes the vast majority of our Amazon users.
If you both sell on more than one Amazon regional marketplace and ever manually request Amazon order reports by logging in to Seller Central and going to Orders > Order Reports, you may be affected. Tradebox may either: have been rejecting Amazon orders with the error Order was not imported as the Sales Channel Name in the file is blank or have downloaded orders through the wrong Amazon marketplace.
Actions if you're affected
You should review your Amazon orders downloaded since 27/03/2018 to check:
- Has Tradebox downloaded all the orders it should have? As you may have missed the error on previous download attempts.
- Has Tradebox downloaded orders through the correct sales channel and in the correct currency?
If you have been affected by the issue and have had orders mishandled by your Tradebox software, we'd like to take this opportunity to offer our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Going forward, if you sell on more than one Amazon regional marketplace you should not manually request order reports from Amazon Seller Central. As an alternative, you can:
- Provide Tradebox Finance Manager with your MWS credentials and have the program automatically request and download your reports. This will always be a 7 day order report, so you should ensure you're running an Amazon download at minimum once every 7 days. You should also ensure you don't have any other systems requesting Amazon order reports. Our guide to using MWS credentials in Tradebox Finance Manager is available here.
- Upgrade to Tradebox One, which uses a different mechanism to request Amazon sales and is completely unaffected by this issue. This does allow historic sales up to the last 60 days to be downloaded from Amazon. Our guide to upgrading from Finance Manager to Tradebox One is available here.
The steps for downloading Amazon order reports are included here for your reference. We do not recommend following these steps for merchant orders while the sales channel column is not available.
Amazon Merchant orders Log into Amazon Seller Central Select Orders Select Order Reports In the Request Order Report section of the New Orders screen select the duration of the report (1, 2, 7, 15, 30 or 60 days) Tick the “Include Sales Channel Column” box Click ‘Request Order Report’ Your request will appear in the ‘Check Report Status & Download’ section. Click the Refresh button to update its status. When the report is ready, download into the Amazon IN folder. Then click Download under the Operations header in Tradebox.
Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) orders
The Amazon FBA order report can be requested by the following steps.
- Log into Amazon Seller Central
- Select Reports
- Select Fulfillment by Amazon
- Select Amazon Fulfilled Shipments
- Choose the date range of the report.
- Click ‘Request Download'
- Your request will appear in the ‘Check Report Status & Download’ section. Click the Refresh button to update its status.
- When the report is ready, download into the relevant Amazon IN folder for FBA orders.
- Then click Download under the Operations header in Tradebox.
To find your Amazon In folders
Each Amazon sales channel in Tradebox has its own Input and Output folder; order reports are read from the In folder and moved to the Out folder once they've been processed. This process still happens if you're using Amazon's MWS credentials to automatically request the reports, you just normally don't see it happening.
- In Tradebox go to the Sales Channels list (under the Information header on the left)
- Open the first Amazon sales channel by double-clicking
- In the middle of the screen, you can see the path to the Input folder. Click on the Open button to the right of that path.
- The Input folder should now be open in file explorer. Copy and paste the report you've requested into this folder.
- Close the Input folder. Save and Close the channel in Tradebox.
- Repeat from step 2 onwards for each Amazon sales channel in your Tradebox.
- Once you've put a copy of the relevant report in each Amazon sales channel, click Download under the Operations header on the left of Tradebox to download the orders.
Note - manually requesting reports can throw off the last report ID system that Amazon uses to track automated report requests. If, following a manual download of Amazon reports your automated order download stops working, follow these steps.