Tradebox is designed and tested to work on client PCs with any of the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
For full system requirements and details on recommended/supported operating systems and environments, click here.
The Tradebox data can be relocated onto a server or a shared network drive. This allows the Tradebox program to be installed on more than one PC and share the data with other installations of Tradebox across a network.
Tradebox can be open and running on multiple machines at any one time and users can perform different tasks within the software simultaneously, however, all operations that are controlled by the Tradebox Data Service such as downloads, despatching, posting to Sage and uploading (if not set to manual) will only take place from a single, specified machine. We generally recommend that this is the same machine where the Tradebox data is held, but it can be different if you wish.
Moving the Tradebox Data from a local PC to a Network Location
To network Tradebox, first of all take a backup of your Tradebox data using the option in Maintenance. Once you have done so and restarted the program, follow these steps:
1. It's important to make sure all installations of Tradebox are running the same version. Before sharing the data, check your version number in Support against the latest What's New article make sure you're on the latest version, and if not, follow the link in the article to get Tradebox upgraded on the existing PC. Future updates will need to be applied to each computer that runs Tradebox.
2. From the PC Tradebox is installed upon, navigate across the network to the location you wish to move the data to and create a new folder called Tradebox Data.
3. From the Maintenance menu in the Tradebox program select the Relocate Database option.
4. This will generate a dialog box (below) which will tell you where the Current Location of the Tradebox data and provide an option to move the data to a New Location.
5. To move the Tradebox data from the PC to the new Tradebox Data folder on the network click on the […] button at the end of the New Location field, navigate to the Tradebox Data folder and select OK.
Upon completion, Tradebox will close down and need to be restarted. Once it's opened back up, go to Support and check that the data path displays the correct location.
Connecting a New Installation of Tradebox to the Networked Data
The most common reason for the Tradebox data to be networked is because you want to be able to access the program from more than one PC.
Once your database has been networked, you will then need to install Tradebox on the other machine(s) you want to use the program on and connect it to the networked data.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Install Tradebox on the relevant machines.
2. Tradebox will install onto the new PC as a trial version of the software. Serial numbers do NOT need to be added to the trial version as these will be read from the data folder on the network once connected. The default username is TBUSER with no password.
3. Proceeding past the logon name, Tradebox will present you with several options:
You need to select the second option, which is Install Tradebox and connect to an existing database.
Selecting Next will bring you a new screen where you will be asked to select the database you want to connect to:
Clicking on the magnifying glass icon will allow you to browse to the location of the data. The Tradebox database is always named tradebox1.accdb but if you don't have file extensions enabled on your PC it will be a Microsoft Access Database file simply called Tradebox.
Once you have the correct file, click Finish. Tradebox will then close down and need to be reopened. Once it reopens, you should see all of your channels, orders and other data exactly as you can see it on the original machine. To double check it's connected properly, click on Support and check that the data folder is the same on the new PC as on the original PC.
Changing the Service PC
As mentioned above, the Tradebox Data Service will only run on a single, specified machine. Once you have Tradebox networked, you may wish to change the PC that this runs on. This involves simply unticking the 'Run on this Machine' box in Configuration -> Preferences on your current service PC:
Tradebox will then need to be closed on the original service PC and restarted on the new one. When you restart the program you will see the following pop up box:
Click Yes to start the service running on the new machine.